Sunday, September 14, 2014

Post Foot Surgery

  I was really nervous about my surgery due to the high cost of it and having trouble getting my Lovenox (blood thinner) shots. Lucky for me, I am naturally a pretty persistent person. I had to keep calling the pharmacy and my Dr.'s office.  I  decided this was the week of shots. On Wednesday, I had to get a shot in my lower eyelid because I have Cystoid macular edema ( swelling) in my eye. I have a condition  called Pars Planitis where I get constant floaters. Mine is not related to an auto immune disease. I have been tested for that. The Dr.'s don't know why I have it. Anyway, the morning of surgery I knew I would be okay after I had my funny feis judge dream.

  It was really chilly on Friday morning, the day of surgery. It snowed a few flakes without accumulating on the ground. You can't eat or drink after midnight due to the risk of getting pneumonia. Phil paid my bill and then dropped me off. My parents were taking me home. Hospital gowns have gotten better over the years. The best thing about the hospital gown is the hose that blows hot air to keep you warm. I also get to wear a sexy Ted hose on my leg and get a leg massage by this machine during surgery. I feel pampered. My spirits were high and I was telling the Dr.'s it was a spa day because I get to relax and sleep. They had to do all the work. I had to wear an allergy bracelet because sometimes I have trouble with latex. I found out something really interesting. Sometimes latex allergies can be related to food allergies. I am severely allergic to fresh pineapple. The last time I had fresh pineapple, my throat felt like it was going to close. Canned pineapple is fine. I wanted to test my theory about the bromelain (enzyme) in pineapple. I had some leftover expired bromelain pills. I tried a few pills and my tongue felt a  tingling/numbness sensation. My body cannot handle the bromelain in fresh pineapple. No more fresh pineapple or bromelain pills for me.

   This time during surgery, I didn't wake up in the operating room. My local anesthetic lasted longer. I woke up in the post operating room. I was so happy to drink water and have a snack. I was excited to get released and go to the Cheesecake factory for lunch. I love cheesecake.  Everything was fine Friday night. I had to rest, ice, compress, and elevate. (RICE)

  The day after surgery is the worst. I woke up nauseated from the pain. My day consisted of doing  the steps of RICE and homework. I've been so exhausted the last two days and dealing with feelings of nausea off and on during the day. My foot is tender and swollen. Bathing is a whole new experience, but I am glad it is my left foot. It is easier to hang it over the bathtub with a trash bag covering it. I have to keep my stitches dry. I have to do this for three weeks, which isn't too bad. I have two more days of wearing my Ted sock and taking my shots. Giving myself shots in the stomach isn't too bad. I just hate the medication, it burns after the shot. I am glad I am full weight bearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment