Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Healing Through the Power of Christ

The second part of my semester has begun online through BYU-Idaho. I am taking a blocked second half of the New Testament. We will cover Acts through Revelation. My knowledge of the New Testament is limited, so I want to be more educated about the events of Christ's Church after He was resurrected. My readings for this week began in Acts 1-Acts 18.  I have a favorite story from this week's reading. This story starts in Acts three and it is about the lame man who is sitting at the temple gates  seeking money. (Acts 3:2-3) Peter and John see him and offer him a better gift of being healed through the power of Christ. (Acts 3:6-7) The lame man is so happy he is healed and gives praise to God. (Acts 3:8) This lame man had the faith to be healed. I wonder if there are times in our lives where we want God to bless us with material wealth, instead of giving us wonderful opportunities to grow spiritually and refine our character. Do our trials and burdens seem to weigh us down and make us have pity parties, or do they refine us and make us better to serve in our homes, and communities? You decide if you will focus solely on things which money can buy or balance your time wisely building worthwhile friendships, while being on the path God has for you. Peace and healing can only come through the Savior. I know the Savior can heal us and give us peace. Sometimes the trials and burdens aren't taken away, but the Savior gives us the strength to rise above them. In my life, gratitude and a positive attitude have helped me overcome discouragement about things I can't change.  One of my life changing events occurred in February of 2012. I was approaching my thirty-fifth birthday, and I was extremely discouraged and depressed. This is unusual for me because I don't stay down in the dumps for too long. This was a hard birthday year because we still didn't have a baby, and when a women reaches the age of thirty-five fertility rates decrease dramatically. I knew I had to get on my knees and pray to my Heavenly Father in earnest prayer. I plead with Him to help me find joy. The prayer was answered a day or two later when a kitten came into my home. We named her Pinkie since she had been dyed pink. We couldn't find her owners. I know God loves me and my husband and had blessed us with our beautiful, furry princess. Pinkie has brought so much joy into our home and hearts! God loves you and wants you to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment