Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Care Giving 101

  I was a caregiver for my 93 year old almost 94 year old Oma (Dutch for grandma) for 2.5 days  out in Ogden, Utah in her home. I provided care for her around the clock. She could not be left alone. I am  used to coming and going as I please back home that it was hard being tied down. I couldn't go running. On the plus side, it was great to spend time with her and appreciate her life. It was hard seeing her independence being taken away. Hospice comes in twice a week to provide care. She has to be on oxygen all the time for her COPD. My Oma is very stubborn and feisty. I wonder where I get it from.
  My first story about taking care of my Oma revolves around coffee. My Oma is  Catholic and loves her coffee. I am Mormon, and I do not drink coffee. It is against my religion's Word of Wisdom. I had to make coffee for her. I didn't know how to work the coffee pot. I put the water where the filter &coffee went. Needless to say I had a nice mess to clean up. The second try worked. The water goes in the back of the machine. Good to know in case I ever have to make coffee again. I sure hope not! Most   coffee's aromas turn my stomach in the wrong direction. I thought my Oma would have one cup of coffee. She wanted three cups of coffee. I told her that was too much. She sat me down and said "Listen lady" and explained to me that she was almost 94 years old and had drank coffee all her life. I just got chewed out by my Oma. She won this argument ,and I got her a third cup of coffee. The doctor said she is supposed to have any coffee because it can dehydrate a person. Lesson number one: Don't mess with the elderly.

My second story deals with my Oma after waking up. She looked so cute sitting up in bed, until I noticed the expression on her face. She said, " I can't find my teeth." Not expecting this turn of events, I tried not to laugh because it isn't funny and not being grossed out because I am germ phobic about some things. I found the denture by the bed and went to wash it off. It is now back where it belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment